[wplug-plan] awk & sed (Re: [wplug] What a great GUM! How about next month?)

David Ostroske eksortso at telerama.com
Wed Jul 11 20:33:46 EDT 2001

Quoting Zach Paine <zman at wplug.org>:

> On Tuesday 10 July 2001 01:00 pm, you wrote:
> > Even if we don't have formal presentations, these types of
> mini-courses
> > might be good for the GUMs and InstallFests. Mike O'Conner set the
> > precedent, and I'd love to turn it into a trend.
> >
> > Anyways, awk and sed are my favorite tools. They've been absorbed by
> Perl,
> > as far as scriptwriting is concerned. But at the command line, they
> really
> > pack a wallop.
> >

> Are you talking about doing it at this coming installfest, or next
> month's
> GUM?
>
> -zman

I'll need some time to prepare for it, so it probably won't happen this
Saturday. I'd like to do it at the GUM next month.

Nothing too big, just enough to give people a taste of it. But unlike
networking, it's not something that's easy to teach with just a markerboard.
I'd like to throw some samples together, maybe provide some links to online
tutorials. Your call, but the links we can stick in the minutes.

--- Dave Ostroske
    eksortso at telerama.com