[wplug-plan] Re: Finding organizations willing to donate computer hardware (fwd)

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Wed Jul 11 14:35:18 EDT 2001

Anyone interested?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 01:15:34 -0400
From: Bill Kent <wwkiv at home.com>
To: lugs at linuxusersgroups.org
Subject: Re: Finding organizations willing to donate computer hardware

Rick Moen wrote:
> So, the machine sits around in a corner for a year.  Finally, it gets
> thrown out.  Thus, it's sometimes best to just go "dumpster diving" in
> corporate industrial parks, and such.  It's amazing what you can find.

I work through my sales reps at work.  I find that they're willing to
give/get me some okay old stuff for my LUG.  Then again, I work in the
Fortune 500, so most vendors "kiss up" pretty blatantly.  I have had to
return some items when they turned up "missing" in an audit, but a few
weeks later I got something that was totally off the books.

I do know that it's next to impossible to get computers out of our
company.  They normally go to some type of recycle organization or
charity where we get a tax break.  So, if you really want something,
setup a recycle service (you've already got the non-profit id).
Recondition the machines and install Linux on them.  Take the
reconditioned machines and place them in schools, libraries, the third
world, etc.  If you can structure it so people/companies can get a tax
break, you'll be overwhelmed.  Take the true junk to the recycle center,
not the landfill.

I ought to do this for my LUG and write up a HOWTO.  Like I don't
already have enough to do.

Bill

-
To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo at linuxusersgroups.org with