[wplug-plan] [billings at negate.org: [Wplug-web] Re: your mail]

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Tue Feb 20 20:29:08 EST 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:02:02 Jonathan Billings wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Zach Paine wrote:

> Could you post an overview/description of bugzilla to wplug-web.  For
> example, I'm curious about how I fit into the equation.  Obviously I
> know how to submit bugs (thanks for fixing!), but can bugs be assigned
> to me, and will I be notified?
>
> Thanks,
> Zach

Basically, at first, I've set up some products (which are things like
wplug web, wplug web:unstable, and bugzilla) with components (like basic
administration, database, etc).  That way we can have different areas for
each group to work on, just to keep bug categorization easier.  Each will
have a contact, which I've been setting to wplug-web at wplug.org.  This will
make it so if some bug goes too long without being looked at or assigned,
it will send a whiney mail at the project contact (wplug-web
currently).  What I hope is people with privs to write to the repositories
will assume the tickets, make comments, etc.  Eventually, I'd like to have
it so people can vote on which bug is the most important to fix, that way
non-designers have some input into what's fixed.

I'd also like to be able to set up a mail address on wplug.org that will
feed bugs into bugzilla.  Either that, or do some direct insertions from
other parts of the web site.  My goal here is to be able to have the
non-bugzilla sites have 'comments/suggestions/gripes' pages where someone
could enter info, and it'd be inserted as a new bug on bugzilla.

At first, I think people on wplug-web should go to http://bugs.wplug.org
and create an account.  Your password will be emailed to you.  From that
point on, you can go through and look at the current bugs under each
group, and reasign them to yourself.  Work on the ticket, make comments,
fix the bug, change the status to fixed, etc.  Everything is pretty
self-explanitory.

Really what needs to be decided is what kind of structure is needed, or
what is necessary.  We could just go on a volunteer basis, where people go
and take what they think they can handle.  I currently don't have it set
up where people get whiney email when a bug assigned to you isn't being
worked on, mainly because I think it's annoying, and I get it enough from
work.  If we want to be structured, or if anyone wants to be a maintainer,
feel free to volunteer! (I'm currently the maintainer for bugzilla, so
I'll get notified if it gets bugs.)

Currently, i can see wplug using this for managing the web-site stuff, but
if wplug ever plans on building software, it could work there.  I'm
currently the bugzilla superman with all sorts of powers, but I can grant
some powers to others (such as creating groups, products, components,
users, configuration).  I should probably give one other person
superpowers, just in case I get run over by a bus.

So, everybuddy, at least create an account on bugzilla!  Take a look
through the current bugs.  There shouldn't be many, last I looked there
were 4.  As soon as I let this baby loose on the general wplug list, I'm
sure we'll see more.

One thing to ask: do you think we should have people submit bk patches to
bugzilla?  I don't really like the idea.  But it might be nice for people
who submitted them, that way they can see that people are working on them.

--jonathan "bugz" billings