[wplug-plan] Bylaws

David Tessitor dttessitor at home.com
Wed Feb 14 15:53:05 EST 2001

Rick Smith wrote:

> I second this.  (now, let's see, I include all previous remarks and
> press send.  Easy!  Oh, wait, there's more I want to say)
>

>snip< ... lots of really good ideas >snip<

Actually, light and simple is not only desirable, it's more than quite doable using
RR.  Unfortunately, all the reticence about having a defined, easily understandable
structure has consumed many times more band width than a smooth running
organization with a set, yet simple, structure ever would.  That's not a criticism,
just an observation.  I fully appreciate not wanting to get bogged down in obscure
and entangling parliamentary maneuvers.  It's just that from my experience I would
have to say those concerns are really more of an unfounded fear.

Keep in mind that RR is nothing more than a fully featured How-To package that one
stores in a handy place but need not access unless, due to some happenstance, one
comes upon an atypical situation for which one needs a guide to smoothly navigate.
Most Linux users adhere to the How-To's without going through each and every one of
them over and over, but when they hit a snag, it's nice to have them there as a
helpful reference.

When I use a lean Peanut or Vector Linux installation rather than a full RedHat or
Mandrake distribution, I still have occasion to access the How-To's if I have a
problem with something that isn't answered in the simplified Peanut or Vector
instructions.  Most of the time, though, I don't have to look up anything at all,
especially when I'm only using my regular day to day programs.  Of course, should I
want to do something different that requires some expertise beyond what I know,
then I can call up the How-To's for a first (or second) point of reference.  If
that doesn't answer my questions, I ask someone else who might be able to give me
advice.

It's the same way with an organization.  Compared to a deliberative body such as a
legislature or political party, WPLUG is really more of a Pocket Linux or Linux On
A Floppy than it is a full SuSE installation.  KISS -- a few simple config files,
not intensive interlocking scripts / some simple bylaws with a few standard items;
just enough so people can figure out how the group runs and, at most, some
additional provisions for any unique decision process, such as the role of the
lists and meetings.  That's it.

Day to day nobody ever looks up anything.  When a question arises, somebody can
look at the simplified instructions which came with the installation (i.e. the
group's simple bylaws) -- that should answer 95+% of the questions.  In the few
instances that that doesn't cover it, they go to the How-To's (i.e. RR or some
other manual on procedure) and find the appropriate section.  If that doesn't
provide an answer for the situation, one simply asks someone with more expertise
how best to handle things.  It should be no bigger deal than turning on your
computer and running it (well, actually, the group operation should be a whole lot
easier -- at least, given all the hassles I've had trying to get things to work on
my system).

Simple, lean, functional.  We're not trying to solve the problem of social security
or answer the Israeli-Palestinian question, we just don't want to step on each
other's toes when organizing and conducting  the group's activities, and we also
want something that can help make it easier to do more fun things, sharing the work
rather than dumping it all on one person until they burn out.  That's all, nothing
more, nothing less.

Dave