[wplug-plan] Organizational considerations

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Tue Feb 13 21:13:50 EST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:57:56 David Tessitor wrote:
>    * The Member Organizational Meetings (regularly scheduled
>      for 2 pm after the GUM's) were started explicitly to deal
>      with organizational matters.

I don't like these.  There is a structure in place for discussing wplug
administration and organization.  If you wanted to discuss organization,
you should have organized a plan meeting.  You've generated a good bit of
resentment because of the psuedo-official meetings.

>    * The January and February meeting's were not held because
>      of uncertainties about the meeting location.  With the
>      new location now resolved, they will resume in March at 2
>      pm following the GUM.

Again, let us have a plan meeting.  We could perhaps make it open to
everyone though considering the current state of the group.

>    * The easel charts from the second and third meetings
>      (Oct.:  the structure and decision process of WPLUG;
>      Nov.:  what we like and dislike about WPLUG) have been
>      transferred to html and will be added to the WPLUG
>      website shortly (along with everything from the first
>      meeting).

Contact me once you've converted these to html.

>    * Until the next meeting in March, the plan-list is the
>      appropriate place to discuss these matters.

I would say until, during, and probably after, the plan list is the place
to discuss these matters.

>    * Rick McKinney brings up a valid point about the list
>      reply protocol.  I think this demonstrates a good reason
>      for setting down some simple guidelines on the webpage.
>      I know some people will probably complain that it would
>      make them feel as though they are in back school --
>      behavior rules laid out and such -- but mature adults
>      should also see the wisdom having a commonly accepted
>      standard of conduct so everybody is working from the same
>      page.

I feel we need a more organized method for making decisions and I think
that any guidelines would simply be common sense ones. Not that I'm against
these, but I don't think we need to have a formal list system.

>    * WPLUG is not alone.  The matter of excessive inclusions
>      in replies is a problem with a number of lists.  More
>      people need to judiciously use the >snip< to remove
>      anything not specifically being commented on.  If
>      referring to the whole original, then simply mentioning
>      its subject can often do the trick.

Snip's are good and should be used effectively.

>snip<

As for web-based lists.. I believe they are FAR too cumbersome for
effective communication.  Email is widely available and more efficient.

--
Zach Paine
http://www.wplug.org/~zman/zman.key