[wplug-plan] LUG Discount Program (fwd)

David Ostroske eksortso at telerama.com
Wed Apr 18 23:44:04 EDT 2001

Quoting Zach Paine <zman at wplug.org>:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:25:39 James O'Kane wrote:
> > Who wants to take care of coordinating this?
>
> Assuming that we want to do this, I would be willing to coordinate.  Do
> we
> want to sell directly for this cheap rate, or just purchase and give
> away?
> What would be the most effective and usefull method?

Personally, I think "sell direct," but there's room for giveaways.

Whichever method we choose, it would have to draw some attention to WPLUG. Maybe
I'm wrong, but I don't think that 10 of us (i.e. WPLUG regulars) would agree on
a single game to buy. Whatever our decision, it would promote Loki, and it would
promote us.

We could advertise the special in the papers and on bulletins on the Pitt and
CMU campuses. We could also contact other LUGs, see if they want to join us on
this. I wouldn't think Loki would be against us advertising. But they might have
already contacted other LUGs. But, who knows? If there's a LUG out there that
can't buy enough copies, we could pool together our resources.

Also, we could put up a web page related to the special. Anyone interested can
submit their email address for each game (and in what quantity) they want, and a
counter would show how many requests we have in for a game. Once a game's count
passes 10, we email everyone who wants a copy and tell them how to pay for it.
If a count gets close but not up to 10, we could choose to buy extra copies for
raffle prizes, giveaways, etc.

On the same web page, we can ask people if they wish to be added to the announce
list. We should also include links to our and Loki's websites.

Something about this suggests that it could really work!

--- Dave Ostroske
    eksortso at telerama.com