[wplug-plan] Good things to read for the everyday planner

David Tessitor dttessitor at home.com
Wed Nov 22 15:07:36 EST 2000

I'm sending this using the "both text and HTML" option as a test.  HTML on its
own has brought some complaints in the past, so let me know if this is an
acceptable solution.  -- Dave

-------------------

The direct link for the most up to date version of the article which Zach
recommends is at <http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/essays/newlug.html>.

Zach Paine wrote:

> Hey,
>         I stumbled across this and thought it might be good to spread around.
>         http://linux.com/lug/newsitem.phtml?sid=21&aid=7568
>         'Recipe for a successful LUG'.  Interesting stuff.  We should go
>         through and see how we fit this model, and how perhaps we should
>         change.

It also suggests in its Addendum #3 the following additional materials:

   * You will certainly want to read Kendall G. Clark's "Linux User Group HOWTO"
     at  <http://www.ntlug.org/archive/lug-howto/lug.html>.

   * Paul L. Rogers's "Linux Advocacy HOWTO,"
     <http://www.datasync.com/~rogerspl/Advocacy-HOWTO.html>, makes a good
     companion-piece.

   * Don Marti's "Linuxmanship," <http://zgp.org/~dmarti/linuxmanship/>, essay
     should be required reading for all Linux activists.

   * Eric S. Raymond's "Conventions at Lightspeed,"
     <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/sfshows.html> addresses the running of
     larger events by hacker-types.

   * Kenneth R. Kinder's "Linux Myth Dispeller,"
     <http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/myths.html> is a bit outdated, but still good.

   * The redoubtable Christopher B. Browne has similar pages at
     <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxfan.html>.