[wplug-members] 2014 WPLUG Board of Directors nominations

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Thu Oct 3 19:34:38 EDT 2013

You should have received my announcement about the GUM next Saturday.
If not, the details are available on wplug.org.

As part of our upcoming meeting, we'll be holding nominations for the
2014 WPLUG Board of Directors. We've got four positions to fill:

     *  *Chair.* Has authority to sign contracts WPLUG enters into. Has
limited authority to that the other positions don't. NOT omnipotent.
     *  *Vice chair*. Responsible for WPLUG marketing and PR. Helps the
chair.
     *  *Secretary.* Makes meeting announcements and writes up meeting
minutes.
     *  *Treasurer.* Duh!
You can't run for any particular position; instead, you run as a general
candidate. The five candidates who get the most votes become the 2014
Board of Directors, and they decide among themselves who gets which
position. It's possible for everyone except the chair to hold multiple
positions; for instance, I'm both vice chair /and/ secretary.

Any board member who doesn't hold one of those four positions becomes
a director-at-large. Directors-at-large have no official responsibilities. That
isn't necessarily a bad thing; someone who wants to serve on the board
but doesn't have a lot of time to help would make a good director-at-large.

Here are the nomination guidelines, courtesy of Pat:

1)  Only members can nominate.
2)  Only members can *be* nominated.
3)  It is perfectly acceptable to nominate yourself.
4)  You don't need to be present to be nominated (so if you want to run,
but can't make this meeting - tell someone...)
5)  You *do* need to be present to nominate - you can't send someone
else as a proxy.
6)  If you are nominated, and don't want to run, you can decline.
7)  You're not a member (or if your membership has lapsed) and want to
do any of the above, you can join (or re-join) when you arrive.

Contact me if you have any questions.

--

*Justin Smith*

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius
to understand the simplicity."
-Dennis Ritchie