[wplug-members] Update on elections

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue May 8 14:48:39 EDT 2007

Some of you may be wondering why the recent meeting announcement went
out with no notification of election happening at this meeting and
whether or not the announcement was correct. It is correct. There are no
elections at this meeting. The elections will take place on Saturday,
June 9th, 2007 at 10am in room 3002 of Newell Simon Hall, Carnegie
Mellon University, during our regular scheduled GUM.

There are a few reasons for this, some of which were discussed at the
April meeting. First, we had discussed having the picnic this month, and
the election at the picnic. Unfortunately, the picnic location was
booked the entire month, so the picnic will once again be in August.

Second, the room situation at Carnegie Mellon is difficult and
unpredictable near the end of the academic year. This meant that we did
not have confirmation of a room until late last week. We explored a few
other locations in the interim, however the bylaws of WPLUG state that
we must provide three weeks notice for an election. Unless we wanted to
hold the election on Memorial Day weekend, it would have not been
possible to both find an alternate location and provide sufficient notice.

Carnegie Mellon and specifically, the School of Computer Science at
Carnegie Mellon, has been a great home for WPLUG, and we continue to
work with them to find locations and meet there. We hope you understand
the periodic difficulties we have. In the meantime, if you organization
or company may be willing to provide a periodic home for WPLUG meetings
when we know that CMU may be difficult, contact myself or a member of
the board.

Thank you!

Patrick Wagstrom
Chair of the Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group