[wplug-members] Tonight's GUM: Encryption, Key Signings, and Lots to Talk About

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Wed May 17 03:02:00 EDT 2006

Tonight, Wednesday, May 17th, is a rare mid-week General User Meeting.
We'll be meeting from 6:30pm to 9:00pm in 5409 Wean at CMU.

Here are the topics that we'll bring up tonight. Just so you know: if
we get enough members to show up, then instead of suggesting what we
should do within the organization, you can make us do what you want!
So c'mon over and kick our butts. You can do it!

Tonight's topic: "ENCRYPTION AND YOU" by Patrick Wagstrom.

>From the announcement:
http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2006-May/028144.html
We will discuss how and why encryption is important in protecting your
identity. Two methods for getting involved in a web of trust will be
introduced - OpenPGP and CACERT.

Here's the schedule for the meeting:
6:30 - 7:00: Meet and Greet, Key-Signing Party.
7:00 - 7:30: Membership Discussion. PR volunteer sign-up, server
discussion, Gmail hosting
7:30 - 8:15: Patrick's Presentation.
8:15 - 8:30: CAcert Assurance.
9:00: End of the Meeting.

Here's what you'll need for the key signing. From the announcement:
* Email your gpg/pgp key fingerprint to Patrick <pwagstro at
andrew.cmu.edu> before the meeting.
* Make sure to bring several copies of your fingerprint on paper.
* Also bring two forms of ID (preferably both government issued).

If you're like to issue an SSL certificate for your server, here's how
you can get CAcert assurance:
* Sign up at http://www.cacert.org/
* Then print up two copies of the WoT form (found under CAcert Web of
Trust menu) and bring them with two forms of ID to the meeting.
* Beth Lynn and Patrick are both CAcert assurers, and they will get
you into the web of trust.

Bill Moran has mentioned the PR Committee before. We're looking for
volunteers to promote the LUG, and no particular technical expertise
is required. Here's Bill's comments:
http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-members/2006-May/000021.html
http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-members/2006-May/000022.html

We'll also be discussing getting hosted Gmail accounts. James O'Kane
(now employed at Google!) brought this up, and we've been kicking the
idea around on the -plan list. Check out this month's archives for
details:
http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-plan/2006-May/date.html
http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-plan/2006-May/001637.html

The -plan list is easy to sign up for, BTW. Here's the subscription page:

Also: what should we put on Penguin, WPLUG's server, once we finish
the upgrade? We may be getting webmail, and we'll almost definitely be
getting a WPLUG wiki. If you've got ideas for how we should proceed
with this, bring them up during the discussion.

It's your LUG. Wind it up and watch it go!
--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>