[wplug-members] Clarification Re: Seeking volunteers (technical skill not required)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon May 15 09:17:40 EDT 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006 22:15:28 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> If you were at the last WPLUG membership meeting, you know that the creation
> of a Public Relations Committee was approved.

Based on some of the responses, it appears as if I didn't communicate well.

The PR committee is a standing committee of WPLUG.  This isn't a particular
job or project or event.  The goal is for the PR committee to (over time)
become a group that knows how to market WPLUG to western PA.  This brings
up a few points that it seems weren't initially understood:
1) There is no specific event to be promoted at this time.  However, as
   soon as the PR committee is formed, I expect that the program and
   newsletter committees will want to talk ;)
2) If you'd like to help, but aren't available _this_ month, it's still
   worthwhile to be on the committee, as we'll need people perpetually.

I've attached the PR committee language, as approved by the membership.
This is what you'd be "signing up for":

--BEGIN
WPLUG PR committee
A Public Relations Committee shall be appointed by the Board, and
shall be renewed promptly after a new Board takes office. The WPLUG
Vice-Chair shall be a member of this committee and serve as its chair.
Its duties shall include:
1. To swell the ranks of WPLUG membership.
2. To establish and maintain WPLUG's reputation as a key organization
for Open Source in western Pennsylvania.
3. To maintain a high level of awareness of WPLUG activities with the
general public.
4. To obtain favorable publicity for WPLUG.
5. To establish and maintain contact with other Open Source
organizations to coordinate efforts to further the cause of Open
Source.
The committee shall provide regular reports to the Board and to the membership.
--END

I appreciate everyone who's volunteered so far.  It's great to see this
level of interest!

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.