[wplug-members] Second draft of minutes for WPLUG Board Meeting, 7/12/2006

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 01:14:50 EDT 2006

Here are the Board meeting draft minutes for last month's July 12th
meeting. One paragraph had to be changed, but that's it.

I'll be posting draft minutes from the last official membership
meeting that we had. That was back in March. Yeah, it's been awhile.
So please make it to this Saturday's meeting!

---
WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA LINUX USERS GROUP
Scheduled Board Meeting, July 12th, 2006, 7:00pm
Eat'n Park, 5100 Clairton Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA

CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 7:48pm.

4 of the 5 Directors were present at the meeting:
*David Ostroske, Secretary
*Beth Lynn Eicher, Vice-Chair
*Bill Moran, Chair
*Patrick Wagstrom, Treasurer

Chris Teodorski, Director-At-Large, was present at the beginning of
the meeting, but due to health reasons, he decided to leave. This is
an excused absence.

REPORTS AND BUSINESS
* PHP class
Bill Moran reported that as of the time of the meeting, two people had
signed up for his PHP class, one of which was signed up using the
WPLUG discount that was made available to members of WPLUG. The
discount announcement was made as part of continuing efforts to
provide additional value for WPLUG members.

* Future meeting spaces
Beth has forms for the Carnegie Library in Squirrel Hill for the
meetings in September and October, and has to submit them. She has
encountered no snags so far. She will phone the library on Thursday,
July 13th. Bill offered to help on Tuesday, July 18th if Beth needs
the help.

* LugRadio Live feasibility study
Beth Lynn reported that there would be two major expenses that we
would need to cover: flying over the LugRadio people, and getting a
venue for the event. Beth estimated that a round-trip flight to and
from England for four people would cost about $4,000. So we would need
to economize when choosing a venue. She suggested a lecture hall in
Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh but had higher recommendations for the
Carnegie Library in Carnegie, PA, which offers a large seating
capacity.

Bill reported that he had attempted to contact the Confluence
organizers to get some convention advice. However, they are currently
busy with getting their own convention together. Bill will contact
them again after Confluence 2006 ends, in about two weeks.

* Gmail-hosted email accounts
After considering the consequences of providing email services to
WPLUG members through Gmail's domain-hosting services, Dave offered to
survey the members of WPLUG to see how many members are truly
interested in this sort of thing. If enough members express interest,
then we will pursue the matter further.

* Moving Installfest to a quarterly schedule
It was noted at the meeting that the installfest held on Labor Day
weekend had an unusually low turnout, and that the installfest held on
July 8th was well-attended. We agreed to refer the matter to the
Program Committee, who will determine if holding installfests on a
quarterly basis, rather than once every two months.

* Quorum issues
The board agreed upon the following tactics in order to handle both
quorum issues and the over-extended membership roster:
*We can set annual dues at $10.00 per member. (This requires approval
by the membership.)
*We would not offer pizza coupons, as we had done in the past.
*In order to bring in members to meetings, we will offer free raffle
tickets to members to who arrive early for business meetings. We will
be testing this in August, at which we can discuss these matters
further with the membership. Patrick will get $50.00 in WPLUG swag
(T-shirts, coffee mugs, etc.) from Cafe Press for the August
membership meeting.

* Business cards
Patrick will look into finding a professional printer who can produce
business cards. He will also inquire about blank membership cards for
WPLUG members.

* P.O. box
Patrick will rent a mailbox at the Squirrel Hill post office for
WPLUG's snailmail needs.

* FreeNode
Patrick reported that they are not registering anyone at this time.
He'll keep us posted.

* Cooler receipt
Beth reported that she could not locate the receipt for the cooler
that she had purchased for the group. In order to track this expense
and its reimbursement, it was moved that Beth be paid $42.00 for the
cooler. The motion passed unanimously.

* Ohio LinuxFest 2006
Patrick will send a conference announcement, and will get the names
and email addresses of those people who are interested in attending
this event at the end of September. He will then maintain the alias
that we have used in the past to keep in contact with these people.

Beth reported that Mike O'Connor volunteered to assist her with
anything Ohio LinuxFest-related that he could do, pre-event. She
mentioned to Patrick that, if he has any ideas as to how Mike could
help, to feel free to ask him directly for assistance.

ADJOURNMENT
We adjourned at 8:57pm.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>