[wplug-market] FS: ThinkPad 560Z running Debian 'woody' (disabled TrackPoint)

K. Arun karbak at cmu.edu
Thu Jan 31 03:36:41 EST 2002

Hello,

        As the subject indicates, I have a ThinkPad 560Z to
sell. Details of the system are in the piece below. Although I've
indicated a price of $400 below, I'd be willing to accept any offer
around $350. Please reply to this message if you are interested, and
would like to take a look at the system. I'm not certain I'll make it
to the meeting this Saturday, but if I do, I'll have the notebook with
me.

        Thanks,

                                                  -arun

----------------------------

Up for sale is an IBM ThinkPad 560Z notebook computer, dual-booting
Windows 98 and Debian Linux 3.0 (testing). The ThinkPad 560Z was the
last of IBM's enormously successful ultra-light ThinkPad 560 series
and the only one to feature a Pentium II processor. This notebook is a
true portable, being about 1" inch thick, and weighing a shade over
4lbs. It's about the size of an A4 sheet of paper. Cosmetically, the
notebook is in pretty good shape. All port covers and hinges are
present and in good condition.

A tabular description of the notebook's specifications follows :

IBM model number : 2640-B1U
Processor        : 300 MHz Intel Mobile Pentium II
Memory           : 96 Mb EDO Non-parity (Max: 128 Mb)
Fixed disk       : IBM DTCA-24090, 4.1 Gb (4100 Mb)
Floppy drive     : External (included)
Graphics chipset : Neomagic NM2160 w/ 2Mb video RAM
Display          : 12.1" active matrix TFT with native 800x600
                   resolution, capable of 1.6 e7+ colors
PCMCIA support   : 2 Type I/II or 1 Type III Card Bus
                   (Zoomed Video support)
Audio chipset    : Crystal Semiconductor CS4237B
Ports            : One each of parallel, serial, PS/2, USB, VGA-out
                   ports; docking-station receptacle
Battery type     : Lithium ion (consistently delivers ~2hrs. uptime
                   on a full charge)
CD drive         : external (see below)

Debian Linux installation:
--------------------------

I used Debian as my primary operating system on this notebook, and
hence, it's been pretty well maintained and updated weekly from CMU's
Debian mirror. The system currently runs Debian 3.0 (woody - testing),
with a custom compiled kernel (v. 2.4.17). Pretty much everything on
the notebook (with the exception of sound, which I didn't get around
to configuring) works - Advanced Power Management (suspend/hibernate),
PCMCIA, external parallel port CD drive (see below). Notably, this
kernel includes support for Lucent Orinoco WaveLAN cards. Just
plugging a Lucent card in a PCMCIA slot should be enough to connect
you to CMU's 802.11b wireless network. USB support for syncing with
the Handspring Visor is also compiled in.

You can expect to find a comprehensive set of installed programs -
pretty much everything that belongs on a Linux development/research
workstation (the gcc compiler suite, gdb, Emacs, vim, a complete
TeX/LaTeX environment, plotting and drawing tools, PostScript/PDF
viewers). Software I've installed from external sources includes:

o Netscape Navigator 4.79 for Linux
o Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.05 for Linux
o Sun StarOffice 5.2 for Linux (complete install)
o IBM's Java Development Kit 1.3 for Linux with complete API
  documentation and the  Jikes Java compiler
o Java Development Environment for Emacs
o EMBOSS - biological sequence analysis suite roughly equivalent to
  the GCG-Wisconsin package( I don't suppose anyone will need this)

Windows '98 install:
--------------------

Not much to say on this front, except that it came installed on the
system. There is an install of Office 97 that works as expected. The
only times I've rebooted into Windows were to read Word documents,
PowerPoint presentations, and play games.  IBM's ThinkPad management
software for BIOS, APM and other settings is also installed. And sound
works fine under Windows.

CAVEAT EMPTOR:
--------------

The one issue with this notebook is its disabled TrackPoint pointing
device. I had problems with the Trackpoint behaving erratically and
wandering all over the screen. I've currently disabled the TrackPoint
using the ThinkPad management software in Windows, and use the system
with an externally connected PS/2 (or serial) mouse which I'll include
when parting with the notebook. How much of an issue this is depends
on your intended use of the system. Unless you plan to use it in
crowded buses/trains/aircraft with the system nestled in the crook of
your arm, I've found it really doesn't matter. In some ways, an
external mouse is much more comfortable when working at a desk.

I'll include the following with the 560Z unit :

o external floppy drive with cable
o AC adaptor
o Logitech 3-button serial mouse
o an HP 7200 external 2x CD-RW writer (parallel port - works under
  Linux and Windows)
o a basic carrying case

Price :
-------