[wplug-internet] Spam Filtering Set up

Smith, Justin justin at adminix.net
Sun Oct 23 23:22:34 EDT 2016

I beefed up on my mail server skills over the weekend and got Amavisd,
SpamAssassin, and ClamAV set up on the server - I think.

There's a detailed documentation guide at /home/board/spam-filters.md
that describes the basic setup. I invite you to read it; it describes
what the components are, how to manage them, and how they fit together.
But for convenience, I'll reproduce a small subset of that here:

- Postfix receives an incoming email.
- Postfix passes the message to Amavisd, which serves as a "bridge"
between Postfix and the other services
- ClamAV scans the file and lets Amavisd know if it's infected with a
virus
- SpamAssassin scans the file and generates a numeric score representing
the "spamminess" of a message. Higher score = more likely to be spam.
- Amavisd decides what to do with the message based on the results of
the above two steps.
    - You can have it do not nothing, quarantine, or delete/bounce emails
that have been flagged as having a virus.
    - You define a base SpamAssassin score threshold at which point the
words ***SPAM*** will be added to the subject line, but no further
action taken
    - You can also define a "kill threshold" SpamAssassin score at which
point messages can take some other action - quarantine or discard/bounce

For now, I've set SpamAssassin to delete any messages infected with a
virus and merely flag messages that are flagged as having a spam score
of 6.3. The spam kill threshold is set to 6.9, but the kill threshold
action is set to "PASS" for now, which does nothing.

If we find that SpamAssassin does a good job of picking up spam, we can
tweak the scores and/or adjust the kill action so that genuine spam will
be dealt with automatically.

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Justin