[wplug-internet] Proposal to set up a ticket tracking system on the server

Vance Kochenderfer vance at happylemur.com
Sun Oct 16 00:51:45 EDT 2016

Pat Barron wrote:
> Ultimately, my goal is to be able to track items of work that need to be
> done and who is supposed to do it, and give other potentially interested
> parties a way to have visibility into it as progress is made. I think
> this makes it less likely that tasks will get misplaced or tabled
> indefinitely because other things came up and the work was lost track
> of, since you have a nice (for some value of "nice", I guess...)
> dashboard you can look at at any time to see what work is open and who
> is supposed to act on it.

Thanks; your description was very thorough.  I will give it another read
to make sure I absorb all the details.

One alternative I will mention is MediaWiki itself.  It can provide
e-mail notifications of changes to a page via your watchlist
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Watchlist>.  I certainly recognize
that it does lack a lot of the capabilities of a typical ticketing
system, first among them being a workflow.  But one could establish a
separate page for each "ticket" and track things that way.  Depending on
just how loose our needs are, it might be usable.

vance at happylemur.com      |   good belt of Scotch"    -Nick Danger