[wplug-internet] Proposal to set up a ticket tracking system on the server

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Wed Oct 5 16:34:53 EDT 2016

Also - I installed TRAC on the WPLUG server (only 4 packages needed to
be added, and they can easily be removed if desired) and was tinkering
with it.  One problem with the release packaged in EPEL is that it
doesn't include any man pages (that I can find, anyway), so it drove me
to their web site to look at documentation - where I discovered that
there is an "account administration" plugin available, that lets people
register for accounts in a TRAC project, change their own passwords,
etc.   Which would make it much more livable.

It's not running at the moment (I don't want to leave it running at the
moment, and leave the associated hole poked in the firewall for the port
I was using, unless someone's actually working with it), but I was able
to use the account admin plugin to do useful things, and was reasonably
happy with that.  (It also made me learn a little bit about
"firewall-cmd" to add the appropriate hole, since our CentOS config
doesn't just use straightforward iptables, and I didn't want to just
completely disable firewalld while I was experimenting - so that was a
nice little learning bonus...)

I will admit a slight bias towards TRAC because I've set it up before,
it's relatively straightforward to set up, and once you get it set up it
doesn't require a whole lot of care and feeding.  And also because it
can run completely standalone using an embedded web server and doesn't
need to be plugged into Apache (though you can if you want - but
configuring it reasonably would require either mod_wsgi or mod_python to
the Apache config, and we don't currently use either, and I'm not
particularly inclined to muck with the Apache configuration just now....).

I'm still going to look at the other one that Chuck mentioned also.

--Pat.