[wplug-internet] Migrating WPLUG.org to KVM

Joe Prostko joe.prostko at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 20:44:24 EDT 2015

Linode has allowed servers to switch from Xen to KVM for some time, and for
any Linodes I administer, I have converted them over from Xen to KVM.

This will likely result in about 10 minutes of downtime for a Linode of our
size while the server is migrated, so it's not a ton of downtime. I figure
we should do it when it's convenient, since it will have to be done
eventually anyway as Linode will force all VMs to KVM over time.

I did some benchmarking for various sized Linodes versus their Xen
counterparts, and well, the KVM instances perform way better, at least with
benchmarks like UnixBench.  For instance, I found these results for some
limited UnixBench benchmarking I did:

4 GB Linode: 2 times higher after the switch to KVM
8 GB Linode: 2.2 times higher after the switch to KVM
16 GB Linode: 2.3 times higher after the switch to KVM

Here is more information from Linode about the switch to KVM:

https://www.linode.com/docs/platform/kvm

Should we plan on migrating over to the KVM soon?  Like I mentioned, it is
a pretty pain-free process other than a short amount of downtime.

- joe