[wplug-internet] Membership Database design

Joe Prostko joe.prostko at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 12:37:39 EST 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Pat Barron <pat at lectroid.com> wrote:

> I think the easiest way to proceed from here is to set up a GitHub
repository, and that way we can use the Issues system in GitHub to track
the open work (and who is doing it), and we can keep all that traffic off
this mailing list.  It also opens up potential participation to people who
aren't on the mailing list.

> Alternatively, we could use something like Fossil, and tie it into a
system like TRAC (does TRAC have a Fossil plugin?) and host it ourselves.
But as distasteful as Git can be, I think there's more "critical mass" in
terms of people who are familiar with it.  I'll be happy to set up that
repo (and we can start by putting the requirements doc in there) if we want.

Fossil has a built-in bugtracker and wiki, and the timeline is pretty nice
as well.  Just go to fossil-scm.org, as it is a running instance of Fossil
itself (except for the Downloads page).  Yes, out of the box it's not the
prettiest thing ever, but it can be themed if need be.

See here for an example:

http://fossil.wanderinghorse.net/repos/libfossil/index.cgi/wiki/home

That all said, probably everybody who isn't me is more comfortable with Git
and Github, and that is fine, so I have no problems using it whatsoever.
Obviously I don't want us to get into a big debate about what VCS and
collaboration platform to use, so if you want to set up something on
Github, Pat, feel free.

- joe