[wplug-internet] Heads up - our SSL certificate expires 12 September 2015

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Tue Aug 25 10:15:37 EDT 2015

I haven't pushed hard on getting this renewed at this point, since we
haven't really done anything notable with the certificate we have.  But
we probably should get the certificate renewed, or get a new certificate
from another CA (other than Comodo) if we want to. It's relatively
inexpensive.

When we first got the cert we have now, I was hoping that by the time it
expired, that "Let's Encrypt" would be issuing free certificates by
then.  But their launch date keeps slipping, and they are currently
projecting general availability of the service in mid-November (assuming
their schedule doesn't slip again, we might possibly be able to get a
certificate issued sometime in early September, but it may not be
recognized in mainstream browsers until November or later).  If we want
to wait for Let's Encrypt, we could potentially just continue to use the
expired certificate for testing (or generate a new one from a
self-signed private CA, if we need to test anything that's sensitive to
the certificate expiration date), on the assumption that we aren't
likely to launch any new service involving a certificate before Let's
Encrypt launches.  On the other hand, there is always the risk if we
want to wait for Let's Encrypt that their schedule will continue to slip.

--Pat.