[wplug-internet] CentOS 7 RC

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Jul 6 12:24:20 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Justin Smith <justin at adminix.net> wrote:

>  A CentOS 7 release candidate has been release, for those who are
> curious:
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-July/011288.html
>
> Since CentOS 7's release seems to be imminent, we should probably begin
> planning our transition to CentOS 7.

​Why?

RHEL5 is supported through 2017Q1 (ELS** 2020Q1).
RHEL6 is supported through 2020Q4 (ELS** 2023Q4).

No reason to transition systems to RHEL7 until there is a feature
absolutely desired.

And with RHEL6 offering Red Hat Software Collections (RHSCL) [2a], with
CentOS6 also rebuilding them (SCL) [2b], there is little reason to upgrade
just for a newer scripting language or DB.

RHEL, and downstream CentOS, is designed to avoid the need to transition,
with sustaining engineering on releases long abandoned by the Upstream, for
the long-term.  It's why a lot of downstream solutions, both open source
and proprietary (e.g., VMware ESX's run-time platform with its HyperVisor),
use Red Hat core ABI and key components.

​-- bjs

[1] https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/​
​[2a] https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/rhscl
[2b] http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/SCL​