[wplug-internet] Spam filters

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Thu Jan 30 19:16:23 EST 2014

I don't mind at all. I'm willing to defer to someone with more
experience,
particularly if I've done thing on a whim. (And yeah, I do tend to act
on
impulse with certain things.)

I actually don't have this level of control over Pair's webmail. You can
tick
a checkbox in their Web interface to enable the DNSBLs, and that's it.
We've
been using both SpamAssassin and greylisting up to this point with
surprisingly little success.

Prior to enabling the DNSBLs, we'd get about 5-6 spam messages per day
at
work. Since switching them on, that's tapered off to an average of one.
I've
confirmed the improvement anecdotally by asking around.

For now, then, let's see what results we get in our server logs.
---

JUSTIN SMITH

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
done."
-Linus Torvalds

On 2014-01-30 5:09 am, Vance Kochenderfer wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 10:08:51PM -0500, Justin Smith wrote:
>
>> We use Pair Networks for our email at work. The boss had me call them up today because their spam filters weren't cutting it, and the rep I spoke with walked me through setting up DNSBLs. They were so effective that it was almost like flipping and "off" switch. I haven't received a single junk email since then. I was so impressed that I thought I'd give it a shot on our WPLUG mail server. I added three DNSBLs: Spamhaus Zen, Spamcop, and another one whose name escapes me because I'm on the verge of falling asleep.
>
> This is not inherently a bad idea, but requires thought and
> planning. DNS block lists vary widely in their quality, even
> among multiple lists from the same provider. They *will* block
> legitimate mail if not used carefully.
>
> Five years ago, I ran a trial of pbl.spamhaus.org. See
> <http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-internet/2008-June/000115.html [1]>
> <http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-internet/2008-August/000116.html [2]>
> and the following messages in that thread for details. We ended
> up not using it because the benefit was small on top of our
> existing countermeasures.
>
> My view on the proposed block lists:
>
> zen.spamhaus.org - I have a generally favorable impression of
> Spamhaus, but the ZEN list combines four separate lists
> <http://www.spamhaus.org/zen/ [3]>. In my view, the PBL is the
> component list likely to be most stable and best curated, while
> the others have more activity and are more prone to error. This
> is why I started with the PBL in my testing. I would want to see
> good data on false positives for the complete ZEN list before
> using it. The component lists could also be judged/used
> individually.
>
> dnsbl.sorbs.net - This list is a combination of 11 lists with
> various goals <http://www.sorbs.net/general/using.shtml [4]>. Some of
> these lists have nothing to do with e-mail. I would only consider
> adding them if Spamhaus alone was not effective enough, and the
> data showed it would provide additional gain without false
> positives.
>
> bl.spamcop.net - SpamCop is based (in part) on user submissions,
> which are not 100% reliable. Even they themselves do not
> recommend outright blocking mail based on their list
> <http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/297.html [5]>. My impression
> of SpamCop, admittedly based on hearsay rather than personal
> knowledge, is that they play fast and loose and don't worry too
> much about the consequences of an incorrect listing. They are IMO
> a last resort and I would have to see very compelling evidence
> before using them.
>
> With any of these, I would want to set check_recipient_access to
> exempt mail addressed to postmaster@ or abuse@ from any DNSBL
> checks. If there is a problem with a list, there needs to be a
> way to contact the admins to work it out.

> [...]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-internet/2008-June/000115.html
[2]