[wplug-internet] Spam filters

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Wed Jan 29 22:08:51 EST 2014

Hey guys,

We use Pair Networks for our email at work. The boss had me call them up
today because their spam filters weren't cutting it, and the rep I spoke
with walked me through setting up DNSBLs. They were so effective that it
was almost like flipping and "off" switch. I haven't received a single junk
email since then.

I was so impressed that I thought I'd give it a shot on our WPLUG mail
server. I added three DNSBLs: Spamhaus Zen, Spamcop, and another one
whose name escapes me because I'm on the verge of falling asleep.

There were comments in the /etc/postfix/main.cf file that suggest that
someone tried to use one of Spamhaus's lists at one time and found that
it ineffective. The difference here is that I'm using a much more
comprehensive list from Spamhaus and I placed the restrictions in
/recipient/ smtpd filtering rather than client smtpd filtering. That,
supposedly, is what makes the difference.

Let's see if it get as many junk messages on the mailing lists now.

*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"Any fool can use a computer. Many do."/