[wplug-internet] Set up some project-related stuff on the server...

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Fri Jan 17 07:03:17 EST 2014

It may be worthwhile to look back at the set of goals I put
together three years ago for this.
<http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-internet/2011-January/000235.html>

The specific code is of less interest as it was never completed or
tested and is specifically tied to MediaWiki.  The memx_readme.txt
attachment to the message may be worth a read as it lays out the
proposed workflow.  Payment integration was not a goal back then.

Since then, we have moved toward implementing additional services
(Tiny Tiny RSS, WordPress), so it becomes desirable to have a
centralized sign-in to avoid having to manage multiple usernames
and passwords.  LDAP looks like the most commonly supported one,
but has serious difficulties when it comes to set-up,
configuration, and allowing users to manage their own credentials.
My cursory look at OpenID makes me think it is less technically
painful, and it is also often supported by applications (and
writing a plugin for those that don't already have one doesn't
seem too bad).

My recollection of ClubData matches Pat's... interesting for what
it does, but missing functionality we need/want (and overkill in
other areas).  I haven't looked at Admidio yet.  It would be nice
if we didn't have to roll our own portal from scratch.

Thanks for the input; hope this gives you more to think about!