[wplug-internet] Set up some project-related stuff on the server...

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Thu Jan 16 02:21:19 EST 2014

At least at the moment, I'm thinking custom-built, and plugged into our
Apache server.  We have MySQL already on the server (indeed, it is the
one that runs the wiki), so that's a pretty straightforward choice - I
suspect the only other choice that would even be on the table would be
something like sqlite.  Possibly implemented in PHP, possibly something
even as simple as CGI scripting.

We're trying to rearchitect the current wiki site using WordPress, so
there might be a possibility of implementing this as a WP plugin (or
using an existing plugin).  A previous pass at this looked at
implementing the portal as a MediaWiki plugin so that it could (among
other things) use the same authentication as the wiki, but I know
nothing of MediaWiki plugins (nor WP plugins, for that matter...), so
I'm not sure how easy or hard that would be - plus as we're hoping to
move more towards a WP site, not sure how worthwhile it is to do much
MediaWiki development.

I actually looked at ClubData at one point - in one sense, it seems to
be overkill for what we need; in another sense, it is missing things we
really do want, like integration with online payment systems (the two
we're most interested in are Stripe and Coinbase, as we currently have
the ability to accept payments via those processors, assuming we had
technical infrastructure capable of doing it...).  It also doesn't seem
to have any way to integrate with external authentication systems (like
LDAP [not that we're actually using that right now...], or PAM, or
anything like that), so it would be Yet Another Username and Password
that people would need...

I'd actually never heard Admidio before you mentioned it - thanks!
Looks like most of the docs are not translated into English, though, so
I'm not sure if it might meet our needs or not.   Google Translate might
help us here.  ;-)

--Pat.