[wplug-internet] Membership Database design

Vance Kochenderfer vance at happylemur.com
Wed Dec 31 18:32:00 EST 2014

Joe Prostko wrote:
> Honestly, we could simply use SQLite for this, most likely.  It seems we
> have the necessary PHP modules already enabled from my quick check.  I
> usually use MySQL (or variants like MariaDB or Percona), simply because
> phpMyAdmin is such a nice tool for those times when you don't want to
> mess around with the DB directly.

If this is to be implemented as a wiki extension
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Developing_extensions>, it makes
most sense for tables to be added to the wiki database in MariaDB/MySQL.

If we want to piggyback off the wiki for logins/authentication, that
would be the straightforward way to structure things.  That was how I
did my initial pre-alpha attempt, which used the wiki for logging in
and granting appropriate admin access.  You can see it in
<http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-internet/2011-January/000235.html>
and the attachments to that message.

For a standalone application, it would probably be best to use the
database-independent PDO and make the choice of MySQL/SQLite
configurable <http://php.net/manual/en/book.pdo.php>.  PHP is built
with support for SQLite on the server:
SQLite3 support	enabled
SQLite3 module version 	0.7