[wplug-internet] Membership Database design

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Fri Dec 19 12:24:25 EST 2014

I need to think about this for a bit, hopefully tonight after work. I
may have a bit more DB experience - but not by much.  ;-)

The one comment I have off the top of my head is that we should probably
use something else besides the e-mail address as a primary key, since
e-mail addresses may change.  Maybe let the DB auto-generate a sequence
number when a contact is added (and use that sequence number as the
primary key).  Since we do want to include e-mail addresses (maybe just
not as the primary key), I would also suggest adding a constraint to
prohibit more than one row from having the same e-mail address, which I
think will spare us the possibility of some nasty bugs later on.  I do
agree with keeping separate tables for people, and membership details,
in case any of the contact records don't actually have a membership
associated with them.

Hopefully more later...

--Pat.