[wplug-internet] wplug.org domain renewal

John Lewis oflameo2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 13:43:55 EST 2014

On 12/10/2014 11:33 AM, Mark Dalrymple wrote:
> Wow, you really have a bug up your butt about this.
>
>> Who is going to unsubscribe if we talk about this on the main list and were
> they current members?

Damn, right I have a bug up my ass about this. I am suppose to increase
the participation of WPLUG. Right now I am trying to analyze the
interface and trying to make it simpler to use.

> I would.  I don't like the main list, so I don't subscribe to it.  And
> you've already clearly demonstrated the "hey, I have great ideas that
> someone else should implement" behavior that is writ large on large lists.

Thank you for your input.

Now WPLUG would have to decide if this is a problem. I personally think
it would be, but we are going to have to deliberate weather if you are
currently in WPLUG's target demo.

One one hand you already said you didn't have time in your schedule or
money in your budget for WPLUG, but on the other hand you did say that
you could come in and do a talk on Objective-C or Swift.

I don't know if Stanly checked your availability for January and I think
I will have to file a motion to get a talk finalized.

I am not sure if I am authorized to check your availability for
Saturday, January 10, 3:00 PM at Hack Pittsburgh, myself because of how
confusing Roberts Rules of Order is.

In addition, I never I never said that I wouldn't implement the
ticketing system, I know from being a sysadmin is that getting these
things done right takes some planning such as selecting which system to
use, and were to put it under the web root. I would rather have people
on board before I do something this big instead of going gung-ho and
start hacking away on the production machine. In addition I still have
to fix the virtual hosting on my own VPS because I have one of those.

>> Do we really want more participation or do we want a country club?
>
> I am currently baffled why the existence of lists specifically for a
> certain topic are so off-putting.  "OMG there's three lists, I'm going to
> run away now because I'm frightened", and why you're dragging that
> discussion into unrelated threads.

The last time I talked to the treasurer we only had 13 members on the
roles. My own participation has previously been limited because I wasn't
familiar with all of these list.

WPLUG has the stated goal of increasing participation this year and as I
have explained before part of that is making the interfaces easier and
better documented.

By the way, Vance Brought it up in this thread in his opening post.