[wplug-internet] PaaS, instead of Hosting? -- New Linode upgrade available

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Mon Apr 28 09:13:31 EDT 2014

I wouldn't say that /WPLUG/ is necessarily looking forward to Docker. As a rule, I tend to be more interested in upgrading to new technology than others in the group. Pat, I know, feels that systemd is a solution in search of a problem, and most of the others are probably content to leave MySQL alone for the time being because they don't dislike Oracle as much as I do.

I only started working as a system administrator in December, so some enterprise-level virtualization technology is new to me. Before you brought this up, I had never bothered to look into OpenShift even though I'd heard the name mentioned before. Not sure if anyone else in the group has worked with this.

I don't think RAM usage would be a problem. /Free -m, /adjusted for buffer usage, says that we're not even using half a gig of RAM. We'd have to use something else for storage space, though. We need a place to store membership rosters, organizational documents, and such, and $1/GB/month for OpenShift storage is just ridiculous.

It's an interesting possibility. I'll play around with OpenShift if I have time this week.