[wplug-internet] New Linode upgrade available

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sat Apr 19 17:49:13 EDT 2014

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 04:20:45PM -0400, Pat Barron wrote:
> Yet another upgrade ... Price is the same as we're currently paying.
> Should we migrate?
>
> https://blog.linode.com/2014/04/17/linode-cloud-ssds-double-ram-much-more/

There are a few downsides.  First, the new VPSes are 64-bit only,
so we would have to transition from the current 32-bit setup.  I
don't think this is a major problem given that all the software
we're using should be available in 64-bit, but there may be
unforseen glitches.  If we decide for a new VPS, it would be worth
considering deploying something newer than CentOS 5.

Another issue is the reduction in number of CPUs available.
Currently we have eight cores available to us, but actual CPU time
depends on contention with other VPSes on the host machine.  The
new model at Linode is to dedicate two cores to the $20/mo. VPSes.
This would impact Justin's litecoin mining, which currently is set
to use four cores.  This is more of an experiment than a critical
service, but wanted to point this out.  I don't think it would
affect web, mail, etc.

Third, the annual payment discount we are currently getting would
disappear with the new VPS.

However, I am very intrigued by one comment to that post.  Caker
hints that there will be a lower-spec plan offered at less than
$20/month.  Given that such a VPS would probably offer essentially
the same resources we're using now (except less CPU), I think it's
worth holding out to see what they come up with.