[wplug-internet] Linode upgrades

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Wed Apr 17 00:47:10 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:30:37AM -0400, Pat Barron wrote:
> And, after that migration ... the Linode would not boot.  Because that
> Linode was using a 32-bit CentOS kernel, and the new hardware won't boot
> a 32-bit CentOS kernel...  Support recommended that I boot using a
> 64-bit kernel, and that worked, but of course the whole rest of the
> system was 32-bit...  "yum update" was somewhat confused....

Good point; I saw mention of something similar on the forum
<http://forum.linode.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9975> but I'm not
aware if Linode is intending to go 64-bit only (for kernelspace,
anyway) or if this is some kind of glitch that will eventually be
ironed out.

It sounds like it'll be some time before any forced migrations to
newer hardware occur, but the path ahead is worth thinking about.