[wplug-internet] [wplug] Check out my photos on Facebook

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu Jun 28 02:48:02 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:44:59AM -0400, Pat Barron wrote:
> On 06/27/2012 7:43 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> > Perhaps we need to tell the wplug mailing list software to block
> > messages from the facebookmail.com domain?
>
> I *think* I just did this...

This appears to have been successful.  There were two further
messages that have been blocked.

Jun 27 15:06:13 2012 (28982) wplug post from notification+26_6f99c at facebookmail.com held, message-id=<bcd5266eb5e84ec3518000a0cbbff663 at www.facebook.com>: The message headers matched a filter rule
Jun 27 15:06:13 2012 (28982) wplug post from notification+26_6f99c at facebookmail.com held, message-id=<230a3d3988a40fde11fccd8496af9f31 at www.facebook.com>: The message headers matched a filter rule

You may want to refine the rule, as currently it will block
messages where the string "@facebookmail.com" appears *anywhere*
in the header (see the link below for suggestions).

> The mailing list is set to be moderated for non-members, so I
> wouldn't think that postings from <anything>@facebookmail.com should
> get through.  I'm not sure if Mailman looks at other headers
> (besides "From:") to determine if the sender is subscribed to the
> list.

It appears that the subscriber's address was in the Reply-To:
header.  Mailman considers a message to be "from" a subscriber if
his address appears in the From:, Sender:, or Reply-To: headers or
the SMTP envelope sender string.  This behavior is configurable
via the SENDER_HEADERS variable in mm_cfg.py.
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2012-June/073641.html>

Your change did block the messages above, but it was the
header_filter_rules setting that did the trick, not the
discard_these_nonmembers one.  If a message is considered to be
"from" a subscriber, discard_these_nonmembers is not processed.

The simple solution is to just turn on the moderation bit for the
subscriber in question, although this creates more work for the
moderators.  Another is to keep tweaking header_filter_rules to
block Facebook, LinkedIn, and other sources of this type of crap
as they pop up.  We could also consider modifying the value of
SENDER_HEADERS, but I'd have to think about whether there might be
negative side effects to this.

Thanks for jumping into this!  Hopefully we can set things up to
reduce the annoyance to our subscribers.