[wplug-internet] MediaWiki "UserAdmin" extension

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Tue Jul 31 07:23:03 EDT 2012

On 7/31/2012 3:57 AM, Vance Kochenderfer wrote:
> Well, if the user in question logs in, the "my preferences" link will
> show him the e-mail address and some other account details. So while
> that information is not visible to others through the wiki interface,
> it is exposed to the user himself.

Right - what I was looking for was a way for an admin to do that if the
user could not get logged in.

> The only use case I can think of is where a user forgets his password
> AND loses control of the e-mail address he signed up with. While I
> admit twiddling the database directly isn't hugely user-friendly, it's
> not that difficult in the rare case it might need to be done.

In this particular case, that's pretty much exactly what happened...
Fortunately, the user had his e-mail address set to one that he didn't
have access to - but that I did...  (For whatever reason, the user had
his wiki e-mail address set to "info at wplug.org", which made fixing this
particular case easy.)

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some user administration
interface that was set up outside of the MediaWiki system.

--Pat.