[wplug-internet] MediaWiki "UserAdmin" extension

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Tue Jul 31 03:57:25 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 10:42:38PM -0400, Pat Barron wrote:
> I was rather surprised to discover that there's apparently no way to
> examine a user's account, even as a sysop. This extension would address
> that.

Well, if the user in question logs in, the "my preferences" link
will show him the e-mail address and some other account details.
So while that information is not visible to others through the wiki
interface, it is exposed to the user himself.

> Or do we have some other means of doing user administration?  The way
> things are set up right now, is it really necessary to directly hack on
> the database in order to examine or change something in a user account?

In my recollection, no user administration has ever been needed,
other than blocking spammers (which functionality is available
through the Block User special page).

I'm not opposed to something like UserAdmin in principle, but I am
concerned that it is still in alpha status.  The only use case I
can think of is where a user forgets his password AND loses
control of the e-mail address he signed up with.  While I admit
twiddling the database directly isn't hugely user-friendly, it's
not that difficult in the rare case it might need to be done.