[wplug-internet] Can I create a new MySQL database?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Tue Feb 14 01:13:35 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 01:43:30PM -0500, Ted Rodgers wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Pat Barron <pat at lectroid.com> wrote:
> >  I was thinking of just running GnuCash as a client (on my desktop system
> > - or anyone's desktop system that happens to be maintaining WPLUG's books
> > at that time...), and just using the database as a back-end data store.  It
> > appears to be able to do that - don't think any GnuCash bits actually need
> > to be installed on the server.
> >
> An immediate concern with that is opening mysql ports up to the web to be
> hit as the storage since we have other items in mysql, too.   Did you have
> a security plan in mind to keep it safe?

I believe Pat was going to use an ssh tunnel (i.e., 'ssh -L
3306:localhost:3306 user at wplug.org') to communicate with MySQL.
This way, only the data lives on the server; the application is
entirely on his desktop.

This seems fine to me, with the proviso that we create a separate
MySQL user that *only* has access to this database.  Principle of
least privilege and all that.

Pat, one thing to keep in mind is that the next treasurer may not
want to use the same tools.  I know that at least once in WPLUG's
past, a treasurer has handed over his data files which were then
ignored by his successor.  I'd recommend, in addition to the
database, generating something in plaintext that can be picked up
by anyone.  Here's the format I used, FWIW.  :)
<http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-board/2010-April/001703.html>

To be honest, if MySQL can meet your needs, I'd prefer not to run
Postgres.  Just want to avoid having another service to keep an
eye on.

As I see it, you'd need:
1. A MySQL username
2. A password for that user
3. A database (CREATE DATABASE gnucash ?)
4. Privileges for the user on that database

Does any particular schema need to be set up for GNUcash to use?
Am I forgetting anything else?