[wplug-internet] Server updates

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sat Oct 17 21:23:48 EDT 2009

Hi all-

Does anyone have an objection to me adding the below script to
/etc/cron.weekly/ ?

It basically uses yum to check for updates and e-mails root (whose
mail currently goes to Dave O, Dave K, and Mike S) if there are
any.  I'm wary of auto-installing updates, which is why I went for
notification instead.

Comments welcome.

#!/bin/bash

# This script checks to see if software updates are available from the
# configured repositories and, if so, e-mails root.

# yum check-update sets exit status to indicate availability of updates:
# 0=successful, no updates available
# 1=an error occurred
# 100=successful, updates are available
nice yum check-update > /dev/null 2>&1

update_status="$?"

case $update_status in
  0)
    exit 0
    ;;
  1)
    mail -s "Error - wplug.org update-check" root at wplug.org <<-EOT1
	This is the update-check script on wplug.org.  The command
	'yum check-update' threw an error.  You may want to look into it.
	EOT1
    ;;
  100)
    mail -s "Updates available - wplug.org update-check" root at wplug.org <<-EOT2
	This is the update-check script on wplug.org.  There are new
	software updates available.  Please log in and run (as root)
	'yum update' to install them.  Thanks!
	EOT2
    ;;
  *)
    mail -s "Weird error - wplug.org update-check" root at wplug.org <<-EOT3
	This is the update-check script on wplug.org.  The command
	'yum check-update' threw an unexpected error code ($update_status).
	You may want to look into it.
	EOT3
    ;;
esac