[wplug-internet] Backups

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu Jun 25 01:23:21 EDT 2009

Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> > OK, the target system is my computer, and the linode system is
> > the WPLUG server.
> >
> > 1. The linode system ssh's to the target and mounts the encrypted
> > filesystem on the target.
>
> #1 is not in line with your original proposal, and therefore doesn't
> meet the original requirements.
>
> The first step should be to use FUSE/sshfs to mount the encrypted
> filesystem _over_ ssh/scp.  Doing it that way would prevent the system
> with the data from ever accessing it, since the filesystem is never
> actually mounted on the computer hosting it.
>
> That is, unless FUSE works radically different than other implementations
> I've seen.

I think Bill's got it right.  You attach a directory on the target
machine to the Linode server via sshfs, e.g.
  [root at linode]# sshfs wplug at mikes.machine.net: /mnt/mhsemcheski
which connects /mnt/mhsemcheski on Linode to /home/wplug on Mike's
machine.

This way, all encryption/decryption of the filesystem takes place
on the Linode server, not on the target machine.