[wplug-internet] Backups

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:20:54 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Bill Moran<wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> I'm confused.  Please define "target" machine.  Are you saying the machine
> storing the backup can read the backup?  How can that be possible unless
> you mounted the FS from the backup system?

OK, the target system is my computer, and the linode system is the WPLUG server.

1. The linode system ssh's to the target and mounts the encrypted
filesystem on the target.
2. The linode system rsync's to the mountpoint of the encrypted file
system on the target.
3. The linode system unmounts the encrypted filesystem.

While step 2 is running, the encrypted file system is mounted and
viewable by the backup user.  Since I have root access on my machine,
I can become the backup user and browse to the mounted encrypted file
system and peruse it.  Once step 2 finishes, the file system is
unmounted and I can no longer peruse it.