[wplug-internet] Backups

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 12:14:33 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Bill Moran<wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
>> 1) Completely lay out the setup and configuration of the current
>> instance, and then backup the data that changes (using rsync) to
>> personal machines or to another cloud (e.g. s3).

> If you decide to got this way, I volunteer my PC + inet connection.  I
> have 10mb/sec FIOS, and an 80G HDD that isn't even formatted because I
> don't need the space.

One thing that complicates this - there is data on the server that
isn't appropriate to have on Bill's PC (not because of anything
personal I have against Bill.)  The stuff in /home/board isn't on the
wiki for a reason.

And at the same time, I really like having the data spread out among
the membership (and not just the board, not to mention the fact that
it would be a headache every time there's a new board.)

I have a good idea of how to do this, but I can't spell it all out
right now.  Hopefully this is not a Fermat's Last Theorem situation.