[wplug-internet] Installfest network

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Fri Jan 23 17:12:31 EST 2009

Hey everyone-

At our upcoming installfest in the Brookline library, wireless
network access is provided by the library to anyone with an
Allegheny County library card.  I am wondering about the
possibility of also providing a wired network, as desktop PCs
typically do not have 802.11 networking.

I have been playing around with my laptop to configure it to serve
as a router for a wired LAN with a wireless WAN uplink.  Anyone
interested in meeting me at the Brookline library sometime in the
next couple Saturdays to test it out?  You would need to bring a
machine (practically speaking, a laptop) with an Ethernet port,
various network-enabled applications (e.g., IRC, FTP, NTP,
finger), and preferably also a CD drive so we can test out
different live distros to see if they play nicely.

Alternatively, perhaps we could access the library's wired
network directly - don't know if Mike or Beth Lynn discussed that
possibility with the library folks at all.