[wplug-internet] Monkeybot and logins on wplug server

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu May 29 23:16:03 EDT 2008

While going through logs on the new server, I found the following
error occurring every 5 minutes:

-date- -time- -hostname- crond[-pid-]: pam_loginuid(crond:session): set_loginuid failed opening loginuid

The only cron job I know that runs on that time interval is the
script to restart monkeybot if it dies.  I don't understand PAM
well enough to know if this means the script is failing or if it's
just doing something that spews errors, but it'd be a good idea
for someone knowledgeable to take a look and fix it.

Also, logs show that the ratio of failed attempts to valid logins
exceeds 1500:1.  Who's up for installing and configuring fail2ban?