[wplug-internet] WPLUG Membership Roster

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sun Jun 22 01:05:27 EDT 2008

I am posting this discussion to the wplug-internet list in the
hope of recruiting others to research and give opinions on this
subject.

The task is to implement a membership roster for WPLUG.  The
roster would store a few pieces of information for each member:
first name, last name, e-mail address, phone number, street
address, and membership expiration date.

Basic requirements would include
  * Authentication (detailed below)
  * Reporting (at least list of current members)
  * Notification (e-mailed notice to members prior to expiration
    date)

The authentication would limit changes to a few individuals.
Ideally other access would be possible, such as members being able
to see and possibly change their own details, and perhaps all
members' names being publically available.

If this is to be a web-based system, it would be nice if the
authentication could tie into the existing Mediawiki sign-in.
Dave describes one possible workflow below.

Dave Kraus wrote:

> I may have found a method to introduce a membership roster into MediaWiki.
>
> There are two extensions:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_MediaWiki
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms
>
> When a new member wants to join (either in person or via the web), he
> or she is instructed to create a wplug.org Wiki account.  The member
> then proceeds to complete the membership Form creating his or her
> membership record.  The membership form must be protected allowing
> completion only by email verified accounts.  The form would
> automatically assign the member a unique ID, which one of the SysOps
> (i.e. Secretary) would relate to a controlled membership payment
> roster.  Once payment is received and processed, the SysOp would
> update the membership payment roster, and the member's record page
> stating the effective membership date and expiration.
>
> Note, this idea is still at the 10000 ft level.  I am sure more
> automation could be added.  Please comment.

If anyone has an idea of how this integration could be
accomplished, or an alternative suggestion, please post here to
the list.  Thanks!