[wplug-internet] Final server cleanups

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Mon Apr 28 18:17:11 EDT 2008

First, a big thanks to Beth Lynn and Mike for helping with the
migration over to the Linode server this weekend.  We got it done
with only two hours of downtime, the bulk of which was probably
consumed by me having to look up basic stuff in manpages.

Yesterday I added SPF records to our DNS, which may help when
sending mail to servers that care about it.  They also specify
that penguin no longer sends any mail for wplug.org.

What follows is what I see as near-term fixups on the new server:

* For some reason, either mailman or postfix is sending messages
  to list moderators from <mailman-bounces at none.wplug.org>.  Many
  receiving MTAs don't like this, since none.wplug.org isn't a
  valid domain.  At least it wasn't until yesterday, when I added
  a CNAME record for it.  While this hack works, we should figure
  out what is causing "none" to show up in the address and fix it.

* Once we are satisfied that DNS is working just the way we want
  it, crank the TTL back up to 86400.

As a near term nice-to-have, it would be great if we could get
friendlier URLs implemented in the wiki - for example,
www.wplug.org/FooBar instead of www.wplug.org/w/index.php/FooBar.
This would (I think) have the side effect of making it easier to
implement the URLs we want to keep from the old site such as
www.wplug.org/lists, www.wplug.org/top, and www.wplug.org/meetings.

If anyone has any bright ideas about this or about the mail issue,
please speak up!  Thanks.