[wplug-internet] Lets make a choice

curlynoodle at gmail.com curlynoodle at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 13:10:51 EDT 2007

Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So the board is meeting on Monday, I think.  I'd like to have the IC
> make a recommendation for hosting services by then.
>
> Here are the options:
>
> pair.com:
>    $15 per month
>    1.5GB  of storage
>    80GB per month transfer
>    10 mysql databases
>    10 mailing lists
>    FreeBSD 6.2
>    PHP5 (and more)
>    no root access

Some additional differences between VPS providers.

> linode.com:
>    $20 per month
	Dual CPU physical server
>    256MB of RAM
>    8GB of storage
>    100GB per month transfer
>    full root access to VM
	-User Mode Linux Virtualization
	-Eleven available distros - http://www.linode.com/support/dists.cfm

> slicehost.com:
>    $20 per month
	Quad CPU physical server
>    256MB of RAM
>    10GB of storage
>    100GB per month transfer
>    full root access to VM
	-(Customized) Xen Virtualization
	-Five available distros -
http://www.slicehost.com/faq#which-distributions-do-you-offer

> We're a committee.  Let's have a vote on it.  Whichever receives the
> most votes, I'll write up a funding request for the board to approve.
> Is everyone agreeable to that?  If you are, or if you are not, please
> respond, even if its not to vote.  I'm not sure anyone knows who's
> really on this committee, this is a way to find out.
>
> Mike

I vote for virtual private hosting.  Unfortunately, I really do not have enough
practical experience to make a judgment as to which VPS platform is a better
choice, UML or Xen.

Dave Kraus