[wplug-internet] More Hosting Information

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 14:49:43 EDT 2007

Here are my two cents' worth...

On 6/20/07, curlynoodle at gmail.com <curlynoodle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
[...]
> > 1) Pair stepped up to offer us 10 free mailing lists, 1.5GB of space,
> > 10 mysql databases on FreeBSD 6.2 for $15.  Do we really want or need
> > more?

> As Beth Lynn mentioned at the meeting, currently Pair is making the mailing
> lists available at no additional cost.  However, they reserve the right to begin
> charging for them at anytime (price).

Email's a significant matter. Wouldn't we need more than 1.5GB of
space, though, for everything that we want to do with the new server?

As for databases, we have six or seven DB's in Postgres on Penguin,
three of which are, or were, for OpenACS. I don't know what MediaWiki
would require.

> > 2) Another virtual hosting service is slicehost.com.  They offer xen
> > vm's for about the same price as linode.com, but they do offer backup
> > images for an additional fee.

> Certainly up for consideration.  Slicehost and Linode TOS and AUP appear (at a
> glance) similar.  Level of service, ?

Can we work up a comparison grid for the three virtual hosting
services? Linode impressed me, but it's the only one I've seen.

> I feel we need at least two admins to oversee any chosen solution to provide
> adequate checks and balances.  In addition, we can pool volunteers and assign a
> team of two to address patches, log review, etc. on a weekly, monthly, quarterly
> basis.  I submit myself for this pool.

Good idea.

> > I'm thinking the way to do this might be to request funding from the
> > board for virtual hosting and shared hosting..  I think virtual
> > hosting is really neat, and I'd really like to try it.  The rational
> > part of my brain says that in the long run, shared hosting at pair is
> > the way to go.

Pair is based in Pittsburgh (+) and they're offering us a decent
hosting package (+), but we wouldn't have root access (-) and we
wouldn't be able to choose a Linux distro to use. (I seriously think
this is a minus, so sorry, Mark.)

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>