[wplug-internet] More Hosting Information

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 13:58:27 EDT 2007

Hey Everybody,

So, I've been thinking about things and haven't come to a conclusion.
A couple of things:

1) Pair stepped up to offer us 10 free mailing lists, 1.5GB of space,
10 mysql databases on FreeBSD 6.2 for $15.  Do we really want or need
more?

2) Another virtual hosting service is slicehost.com.  They offer xen
vm's for about the same price as linode.com, but they do offer backup
images for an additional fee.

3) Especially if we do go with a virtual host, we need to come up with
a maintenance schedule.  I.e., people to periodically and dependably
install updates, patch software, read logs.

I'm thinking the way to do this might be to request funding from the
board for virtual hosting and shared hosting..  I think virtual
hosting is really neat, and I'd really like to try it.  The rational
part of my brain says that in the long run, shared hosting at pair is
the way to go.