[wplug-internet] pair, aspStation

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jun 18 13:42:36 EDT 2007

Having missed Friday's meeting, I apologize if I'm bringing up things
that have already been hashed over once ...

Do these services include wiki software (or other CMS)?  I think we've
demonstrated conclusively that such software is pretty damn important
to the smooth running of WPLUG.

> I'm really excited about linode.com.  But I'm excited because I want
> to see if its any good before signing up myself and moving my email
> and websites over from pair.
>
> Which brings me to...
>
> I finally heard back from pair, and they said they would let us have
> 10 mailing lists.
>
> That means that for about $17.99 / month plus a 20% discount (so call
> it $15 / month), we would get:
>
> - 80GB/month transfer
> - 1500MB disk space
> - 10 MySQL databases
> - 800 mailboxes
> - 10 additional FTP logins
> - Access by Telnet, SSH, FTP
> - Telephone Support
> - Perl 5, PHP 4 Module, and more
> - 10 mailing lists (wplug special)
>

> That would satisfy our hosting needs, and it would be cheaper than linode.com.
>
> The upside is that we would have less administration to do (since we
> don't have root access) and that we would be getting more or less a
> known quantity.
>
> The downside is that we wouldn't have root access, and that there
> would be a single login account.  Definitely not the end of the world.
>

> Beth Lynn, try to contact aspStation.  They're going to have to go
> pretty low to meet our budget, but they do offer the most.
>
> Everybody else, do you think I should pass this on to more or other
> mailing lists?  I know that Vance replied when I sent this to
> wplug-plan, and I don't think he's subscribed to wplug-internet.
>
> This is why we decided to wait 10 days before busting out the check book!
>
> Mike

Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com