[wplug-internet] Server Hosting

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 22:29:00 EDT 2007

Hello,

The Internet committee has collectively decided that a virtual hosted
server is the best option for wplug.

We have looked at slicehost and linode.

I like slicehost -- I chatted with jason at slicehost, and he was helpful
and seemed easy to deal with.  Its not a big operation, that's for
sure (two people).  They offer equivalent priced service to linode,
with  an optional image-based backup for $5 / month extra, something
linode doesn't offer.

(One thing about either slicehost or linode -- 256MB of RAM doesn't
leave us a lot of room to fool around.  I think it should be enough
space if we're frugal.)

I think we should signup with slicehost for 3 months.  They have a ~2
week waiting list.  They won't do a full trial period.  Also, they
want us to pay for 3 months up-front.  But, during the first 30 days,
they'll let us cancel the second two months and get a refund on them.
That is, we can sign up for 30 days and only risk $20.

For what its worth, Jason from Slicehost said he had heard good things
about Linode.

I think we are ready to reach a decision, and I don't think either of
these choices is dramatically different or has a significant downside.

I'm going out of town this coming weekend, so I won't be at the
meeting on Saturday.  Lets figure out where to go from here before
then anyway.

Mike