[wplug-erie] State of the ErieLUG Address!

J M Rice john.m.rice at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:10:23 EDT 2009

So, it’s been a while since I have updated anything, been busy, you all
know, life, school, martial arts, that sort of thing.

First up, I want to know, How is Jesse doing with that kid!?!?!

OK that aside, I am writing about the state of ErieLUG.

Seeing as I have been absent from most of the past few meetings (scheduling
conflict with school) I am only assuming here, but I think I am correct in
assuming that not many people have been showing up to meetings. Which is
fine, I mean, I haven’t really been showing up either, so who am I to cast
stones? nor have I been on the ball with making sure that meetings had
proper content, and with communication, etc.

I know I keep saying that I would keep the LUG laid back, and not put a lot
of work into it. but I am realizing that honestly, my goal (by now) was to
have the LUG be a self sufficient entity, so that, as time went on I could
step away from the administration side of things and have a dedicated team
of board members run things and… well, just enjoy the LUG. And well, at the
moment it seems like, if I am not going to do it (run the LUG) then there
just wont be one.

So basically, I sat down with Beth Lynn (from WPLUG) and we discussed what
was holding the LUG back, what was keeping us from growing and fulfilling
the goal I had set and we came away from our meeting with a few things,
which I will go over here.

1. Me, I am holding the LUG back… why … Simply, after (almost) 5 years, I am
starting to get burnt out a bit. (Yes JustBill … I know, you said it would
happen eventually =p) The point is, monthly meetings are insanely time
consuming to setup and administer, especially with just one person involved.

2. Attendance. I have said it before, we should seriously try and absorb the
local colleges LUG’s.

3. Participation. This is closely linked with #2.. and I can count on one
hand the people who constantly, actively, volunteer to participate in the
LUG. Again, I assume, that as #2 grows, so will this.

4. I am sure there are other considerations holding us back… and again, I am
probably just too shortsighted to see that far.

So, what can we do to fix this?

Well, first I need to ask you ErieLUG people something… Do you want to fix
it? Do you, the people, want a self sustaining LUG? Are you all happy with
the way things are going now, or should we step it up a notch? Should I even
try?

Assuming you all say yes, “lets kick this up into high gear”, then here is
the plan of action that Beth and I have come up with so far.

#1 – I will be dropping back to quarterly meetings. Like I said, I am busy,
and have a life too, and its just more a pain than anything else to
administer monthly meetings. If anyone has issues with this, then please, by
all means, step up and take charge.

#2 – I will, over time, try to get in touch with the areas colleges and see
about either absorbing their lugs, or at least trying to get some
representation of some sort…. Again, if anyone can do better, then please …
I’m not trying to sound like a jerk, but I just want whats best here, and if
you (whoever is reading this) can do a better job at it, then please help
out.

#3 – As attendance grows we will look into going back to monthly meetings.
As such, we will need more volunteers to give talks, or help with
coordinating LUG events elsewhere (WPLUG, and Ohio’s LUG, etc). And as
always, I am sure there are other areas to help out in, and as always I’m
too shortsighted to think that far ahead just now.

#4 – As we try and get attendance up, we (currently have a draft) will be
writing up bylaws of our own and trying to establish a governing body for
ErieLUG. Once in place it is my hope that ErieLUG can continue to run
smoothly, with (or without) any one single person (which has, from my
understanding, been its downfall in the past).

So that’s it, I am sure there are other things to cover, but I cant think of
anything off the top of my head right now… I am sure it will come up
eventually.

I guess, if anyone is interested, we can meet this August (same place, same
date, same time) to discuss the state of ErieLUG (basically recap this email
and things that I am sure to have missed).

As always, questions, comments, concerns, gripes or complaints, email or
call me.

Mike
--
http://phreekbird.net/