[wplug-erie] dual boot laptop over heating

Just Bill justbill at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 15:33:55 EDT 2007

Have I ever done it, yes.  Most motherboards will let you control the
voltage and clock speed and others.  Good enough for most apps?  I would say
that is questionable.  That is very much going, all it really takes to get
around is a 4 wheel small block engine to get around.  Yes your right, but
if I have big hills on occasion or a heavy load I need that 18 wheeler.
Also why downclock, the energy savings would be negligible, and they have
programs that will "step" your chip to slower speed when needed if you
really wanted it.  In fact, that is what most laptops do as well, when not
plugged into the wall they "downshift" the processor to use less voltage to
save on battery.   So that  awesome Quad 4 chip your bought running
3.4ghzis probably only running
1.5ghz when not plugged into the wall.  My Dell 1.8ghz only runs at 770mhz
when not connected to the power source.  Now of course I can turn that
feature off, but then I'd have like 20 minutes of battery life, but hey that
would be one hell of a truly wireless Quake game I guess.

My 2 cents,
Just Bill