[wplug-erie] dual boot laptop over heating

Matthew T. Engel mengel at allegheny.edu
Thu Aug 23 08:32:50 EDT 2007

I have a dual boot (XP/FC) IBM X60.  The user has installed customized
user-mode kernels and the laptop palm rest becomes extremely hot after
running for several hours. The laptop does not over heat or shut down, just
becomes very hot to the touch.

Running the laptop in Windows XP, for the same time or longer w/various
apps, and IBM diagnostic utilities yields no problems or over heating.

I'm thinking that it is safe to assume that the problem lies somewhere
within the linux kernels.  Is there a good way to monitor/track the kernel's
effect on the hardware so that I may be able to tell for certain if it is
the linux kernel?

Thanks, Matt

Matthew T. Engel

Systems Administrator

Allegheny College, Department of Computer Science

Meadville, PA 16335

mengel at allegheny.edu

mtengel at andrew.cmu.edu

(814) 332-2906